B1 phenolic paper laminate is a premium grade, electrically insulating laminate of paper layers impregnated and bonded with synthetic resins. It displays low moisture absorption and good mechanical characteristics, but has a lower impact resistance than most other paper, cotton and glass based laminates. As such, it's not typically used in general applications and is reserved for high voltage electrical applications both in air and submerged in oil. This material is supplied as a direct alternative to genuine TUFNOL® Kite Brand and TUFNOL® Heron Brand.
In-house manufacturing techniques allow us to machine B1 into complex bespoke components as required. Synthetic resin bonded papers are normally processed by way of CNC milling, drilling, sawing and hot punching. See our machining service page for examples of our work and additional information.
B1 is manufactured to BS EN 60893 Standard: 3-4-PFCP206.
B1 was specifically developed to meet the requirements of the MOD (Navy DG Ships). It is commonly used in applications that require rigid, high voltage electrical insulation such as terminal boards, tag strips, pipeline insulation, coil formers and busbar supports.
- Temperature: Up to +105°C continuous (+120°C intermittent).
- Excellent electrical properties both in air and submerged in oil.
- Good mechanical properties.
- Low moisture absorption.
- Meets the requirements of the MOD in relation to Navy DG Ships.
- High thermal resistance.
- BS EN 60893 Standard: 3-4-PFCP206.
- BS 2572 Standard: P3 (since superseded by BS EN 60893).
- Closest Nema Standard equivalent: Nema XXX.
- Closest MIL Specification: MIL-I-24768/10.