Virgin PTFE sheet (often incorrectly referred to as Teflon™ sheet) is a high performance thermoplastic that offers very low moisture absorption, provides exceptionally low coefficient of friction has excellent dielectric strength. It is highly resistant to corrosion and hydrolysis, has a broad operating temperature and is chemically inert (with the exception of elemental alkali metals, chlorine trifluoride and elemental fluorine at high temperatures and pressures). PTFE sheet is also food approved and resistant to UV, but is subject to creep and is not suitable for use with highly abrasive materials.
Due to its characteristics, PTFE can be used to contain highly aggressive chemicals as a gasket, lining or bushing. The material can also be used as a slide plate or bearing in low friction applications and is suitable for use as an electrical insulator. If you are seeking to bond PTFE sheet with an adhesive, we can supply a chemically etched option that will adhere to materials such as metals, rubbers and other plastics. We also have the capability to machine PTFE to bespoke requirements from drawings or existing samples. For more information regarding the services we can provide, please visit our plastic machining section.
Virgin PTFE sheet is available to buy online at PAR Direct by clicking the link above in a range of sheet sizes and thicknesses.
Commonly manufactured into gaskets and seals, bushings, slide bearings, insulators, washers, slide plates and chemical linings for use across a broad range of industries.
- Temperature: -200°C up to +260°C.
- Excellent resistance to low and high temperatures.
- Excellent resistance to hydrolysis.
- Chemically inert (with the exception of elemental alkali metals, chlorine trifluoride and elemental fluorine at high temperatures and pressures).
- Very good sliding and non-stick properties.
- Very low coefficient of friction.
- Very low moisture absorption.
- Gamma radiation sensitive.
- Resistant to ultraviolet.
- Food approved.
Standards & Approvals
- Complies with EC No 1935/2004 and EC No. 10/2011 for plastic materials and articles intended to come into contact with food.
- Complies with FDA food regulations 21 CFR 177.1550 and FDA 21 CFR 175.300.
- Provides a class UL94 V-0 flammability rating, meaning the polymer will self-extinguish after removal of flame.
- WRAS approved material for use with water up to 85°C.
Also available: PTFE Virgin Rod and PTFE Virgin Tube. For availability information regarding etched and dimpled, please view the 'Other Grades of Virgin PTFE Available' section at the bottom of this page.